Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Marriage equality, conservative parents, and opinions

Recently the HRC (Human Rights Campaign) offered a free equality bumper sticker. Of course, I love stickers, and while I had no intentions of using them on a vehicle, I got one anyways.

I didn't know when exactly it'd arrive. It knew it'd take a few weeks, but I really really did not want my parents coming across it. I think that before the sticker arrived, they sorta kind of knew my opinion on marriage equality (pro), but it's not a discussion I want to get into with them. I've already heard their opinions on it (against) and....well...it's just not something I care to discuss with them.

I've been thinking about the sticker lately, but I didn't expect it to arrive today. I was lying on my mom's bed when she came in and handed me an envelope from none other than the HRC. I don't know if she realized what it was at first, but she wanted to see what was in it. Crap. She opened it and handed it to me. I took the sticker out and read the little slip of paper. She mentioned the sticker, something about it meaning equal, and what it was for. I said marriage equality, probably not in my best voice, and she read the slip of paper.

Anyways, that was awkward, for me at least. I don't know what she thinks about it. I really don't want to talk to her about it. Marriage equality just isn't a subject I want to talk about with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment